Partner / Spouse Visa


Individual Immigration

Partners who are British Nationals

If your partner is a British national or settled in the UK, you may be eligible for a visa that allows you to live in the UK for up to 2 and a half years. You can apply for an extension of a further 2 and a half years at the end of the initial visa if you still meet the visa requirements. Thereafter, once you have completed 5 years of residence and you still meet the requirements, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain – partner visa. ‘Partner’ includes: husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner.

Partner/Spouse Visa Requirements

To meet the visa requirements you must show that:

    • Both parties aged 18 of age or over when the application is made;
    • Your relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’ and;
    • You intend to live permanently in the UK with your partner;
    • Your marriage or civil partnership is recognised by UK law;
    • You meet the financial requirement;
    • You can support yourselves and any dependents you may have without claiming government benefits;
    • Your grasp of the English language is satisfactory.

Long-term Relationships

Proving a ‘genuine and subsisting’ relationship: To show that you satisfy this requirement, you and your partner will have to demonstrate:

    • You are currently in a long-term relationship with one another
    • The two of you are living together, and have plans to do so in the UK if you are not already
    • You share the responsibility for your finances and your children, if you have any

Further Blog & Legislation Categories


UK Immigration

Debt Recovery