UK Visitor Visa


Individual Immigration

Visiting the UK for Leisure or Holiday?

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for leisure, e.g. on holiday or to see your family and friends, for business, or to take part in sports or creative event and for another reason, such as to receive private medical treatment.

What can Visitors do?

Within this visa you can do the following subject to the visitor rules and immigration rules and guidelines:

    • Take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rules;
    • Study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit;
    • Take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18);
    • Convert your civil partnership into a marriage;
    • To take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18) to convert your civil partnership into a marriage.

You cannot:

    • Do paid or unpaid work;
    • Live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits o get public funds.

Length of Stay:

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months. You might be able to stay for longer if:

    • You’re coming to the UK for private medical treatment – up to 11 months;
    • You’re an academic on sabbatical and coming to the UK for research – you, your spouse or civil partner may be able to stay for up to 12 months;
    • You are staying in the UK for the above and it will be longer than 6 months, then you must apply for a biometric residence permit
      Long-term Visit Visas.

Regular visitor to the UK:

If you can prove you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit. If you’re under 18 years old when you apply, your long-term visit visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18.

Further Blog & Legislation Categories


UK Immigration

Debt Recovery