UK Immigration Blog


Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

Travelling to the UK

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you can travel to the UK for a holiday or short trip without the need for a visa. You will be able to cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK.

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens may also continue to use the automatic ePassport gates to pass through the border on arrival.

Entry by national ID card is no longer permitted to enter the UK unless you:

    • Have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man’s settlement schemes;
    • Have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit, or the equivalent from Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man;
    • Have a frontier worker permit;
    • Are an S2 Healthcare Visitor;
    • Are a Swiss national and have a Service Provider from Switzerland visa;

If the above exemptions apply to you, you may continue to use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025.

Non-EEA Family Members

If you are a non-EEA family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you will need a valid national passport, and one of the following:

    • An EU Settlement Scheme family permit;
    • A UK-issued EEA family permit;
    • A UK-issued biometric residence card;
    • You cannot use an Article 10 or Article 20 residence card issued by an EEA member state.

Non-EEA Country Citizens

If you are a non-EEA country citizen you will have your passport (and visa if you have one) checked at border control. If you are from any of the following countries you will be able to use the UK/EEA immigration lanes and the automatic ePassport gates:

    • Australia
    • Canada
    • Japan
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • United States

Travelling to the UK for Business

EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens travelling to the UK for a short business trip may not need to apply for a visa.

The UK’s new points based immigration system will enable you to visit the UK without applying for a visa. You will be allowed to stay for up to 6 months and you will be able to participate in business-related activities such as meetings, events and conferences.

    • Do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person;
    • Do a work placement or internship;
    • Sell directly to the public or provide goods and services;

Why choose CSB Solicitors?

If you are a EU, EEA or Swiss citizen let our expert Immigration Solicitors assist you with achieving your immigration goals. Please complete our contact form, or call us on 0203 818 5282.

Further Blog & Legislation Categories


UK Immigration

Debt Recovery


The contents of our blogs is to be treated as general guidance only. Please do not take any action based on the content of our blogs unless you have specifically instructed us to provide you with legal advice. CSB Solicitors do not accept responsibility for any errors or inaccuracies, loss, or damage in circumstances where there is no formal retainer between us and where we have not given you specific advice relating to a matter and where you have given us full details of the same.

The contents of our blogs are based on English Law, and because they contain historical material, that information may be out of date. For that reason, please consider the date that the blog was posted and remember that the laws may differ in different legal jurisdictions.